Keyboard problem in 8.10

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Nov 20 21:34:08 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008, Glenn R Williams wrote:
> Go into system-settings --> regional & language -> keyboard layout.
>
> Do you have "Enable keyboard layouts: selected? If so, which ones? If not,
> check in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let us know what it thinks you have under
>
> Section "InputDevice"

Did that...  no change.  Layouts weren't on but in that case I think it takes
a generic US layout.  The selected layout was US  and a 104 keybd.  Just what
I would expect.

The xorg.conf says its a 105 kybd which is the same as my Hardy xorg.  In fact
I copied over the Hardy xorg file and that didn't change anything either.

The left cursor key works everywhere but within X-server.   Both KDE3 and KDE4
fail...  which makes me think its a bug in the X-server.  (on two different
machines)

Point in fact, I have a fresh install on my main machine with hardly any
changes.  That is, I installed it, found the problem still exists, and I
haven't done much else with it.   So that's two machines,  KDE3 and KDE4
under 8.10, all fresh installs.   Something is rotten.

I just blew away my .kde directory and .kderc  and let them get rebuilt....
and no change...

Beats the heck outta me........