Firefox 2.0.0.14

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Wed Nov 19 19:27:39 UTC 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:54:53 +0200
> From: Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Firefox 2.0.0.14
> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Wednesday, 19 November 2008 16:49:04 Charly Avital wrote:
>> Synaptic Package Manager indicates that Firefox 3.0.4 is installed.
>> There is no mention of Firefox 2.0.0.14.
> Are you sure it's 'Synaptic'? If so, there's a good chance you are using
> Ubuntu, not Kubuntu.

I am sure it's System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager (just
checked it again)
The splash screen with the progression bar underneath reads Kubuntu.
System Monitor/System reads:
Release 8.10 (Intrepid)
Kernel Linux 2.6.27-8-generic
Gnome 2.24.1

>> Nevertheless when I launch Firefox Web Browser, the browser that
>> launches shows version:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404
>> Firefox/2.0.0.14
> There may be two versions installed. One is on the default path and runs
> when 'firefox' is issued. You can check the icon you use to launch it --
> perhaps it will reveal something.
>
> I don't know how you got two versions going at once unless you upgraded or
> someone else installed another version.

I started months ago with 6.10, upgraded via Update Manager to 8.04, and
lately to 8.10.

> Open a command line and try this (don't type the $ sign)

>From MacOSX, I am familiar with Terminal
> $ which firefox
> See what it says. That's the firefox it's running default.

/usr/bin/firefox

> Also:
> $ locate firefox-bin
> This should only give: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin
> If not you are seeing a second version too. Make a note of its path.

/home/shavital/firefox/firefox-bin
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:12:10 -0600
> From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net>
> Subject: Package Managers
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Don wrote:

>> Are you sure it's 'Synaptic'? If so, there's a good chance you are using
>> Ubuntu, not Kubuntu.
>>

> So as not to hijack another thread.
>
> Something has been bothering me since I started playing around with
> 8.10/4.x.
>
> Why have they hosed Adept. It's about as worthless as .........well, you
> know what on a road grader. Sort of reminds me of Stupid Package Manager
> in SuSE [ sorry, that should be Smart - which it isn't ]
>
> Thank goodness whoever decided what packages to install as default they
> included Synaptic. At least its still usable.

As I indicate above, I am sure I have Synaptic Package Manager.

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:35:22 -0700
> From: Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name>
> Subject: Re: Firefox 2.0.0.14
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

It says:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=intrepid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.10"

--------

I can only guess I have a pretty messed up installation?
Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
Two versions of Firefox? I have no idea where '/opt/firefox/firefox-bin'
comes from. 'opt' under MacOSX indicates a MacPorts installation.

Thanks in advance for your combined help.
Charly