The fall of KDE?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 19 02:20:47 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:

> Me too, Nepal.  But I just haven't taken the time to understand
> Kwallet.  I just uninstalled it when I configured this installation.
> But I think I want to know the benefit.  If it is just a bunch more
> mouse clicks, I don't want it either.  If it requires a more secure
> password to make it safer, I am not sure I want to have to type in an
> increasingly more difficult password all the time.  I have one that is
> 37 characters, all mixed up and senseless, but when I am in a hurry, I
> make mistakes and have to reenter too many times.  Learning the
> benefits

Why do you think it would be more mouse clicks?

KWallet is pretty simple.  Every KDE app that asks for a password should
be able to use the wallet.  The first time in your KDE session that an
app asks for a password, you will have to give kwallet's password -
which can be as simple or difficult as you want.  Obviously, more complex
is more secure.  After that, depending on configuration, it may never ask
for the kwallet password again until you logoff again.  The wallet
manager can be configured to close if nothing else is using it, in which
case the next app to need it will have to ask your password again, or
after a certain time, but in any case it will never ask for a password
_more_ often than if you aren't using it - because it only asks when
something else would have prompted you anyway, and not always then, either.
--
derek