The fall of KDE?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 18 21:25:12 UTC 2008

nepal google wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Kcontrol _has_ been removed (for the life of me, I can't
>> see why he thinks he could do anything in it he can't do
>> in System Settings, but he _is_ right that it's gone.
>>  Perhaps he's just a little slower than me in realizing
>> that much of what you saw in kcontrol is now in the
>> "Advanced" tab of System Settings (it certainly took _me_
>> long enough to catch on).
>>

> I'm just in the process of setting up 8.04 and one thing I
> really never liked is KWallet. I looked at all the options
> of System Settings and could not find where to turn it off.
> So I ran KControl and knew immediately where to go to turn
> this off. This is the kind of thing that p****es off users
> like me having to waste time trying to find out where
> something has been moved to.
>
> nepal.
>
> hehe, now to see if this email is actually working or not.

Me too, Nepal.  But I just haven't taken the time to understand
Kwallet.  I just uninstalled it when I configured this installation.
But I think I want to know the benefit.  If it is just a bunch more
mouse clicks, I don't want it either.  If it requires a more secure
password to make it safer, I am not sure I want to have to type in an
increasingly more difficult password all the time.  I have one that is
37 characters, all mixed up and senseless, but when I am in a hurry, I
make mistakes and have to reenter too many times.  Learning the benefits
of Kwallet just hasn't come to the top for priorities for me.  I have
more important things to learn in Linux and KDE and the such, to worry
about my personal security.  Anyone wanting to take my bank funds has
about 2 seconds to enter that account when it has money, cause what
comes in, goes out in about 2 seconds.  Then there usually isn't enough
to steal, unless you are willing to work for 2 cents an hour to get what
I have.