The fall of KDE?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 19 04:20:50 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>

>> Me too, Nepal.  But I just haven't taken the time to understand
>> Kwallet.  I just uninstalled it when I configured this installation.
>> But I think I want to know the benefit.  If it is just a bunch more
>> mouse clicks, I don't want it either.  If it requires a more secure
>> password to make it safer, I am not sure I want to have to type in an
>> increasingly more difficult password all the time.  I have one that is
>> 37 characters, all mixed up and senseless, but when I am in a hurry, I
>> make mistakes and have to reenter too many times.  Learning the
>> benefits
>>

> Why do you think it would be more mouse clicks?
>
> KWallet is pretty simple.  Every KDE app that asks for a password should
> be able to use the wallet.  The first time in your KDE session that an
> app asks for a password, you will have to give kwallet's password -
> which can be as simple or difficult as you want.  Obviously, more complex
> is more secure.  After that, depending on configuration, it may never ask
> for the kwallet password again until you logoff again.  The wallet
> manager can be configured to close if nothing else is using it, in which
> case the next app to need it will have to ask your password again, or
> after a certain time, but in any case it will never ask for a password
> _more_ often than if you aren't using it - because it only asks when
> something else would have prompted you anyway, and not always then, either.

OK.  If I use Kwallet.  It ask for the new password.  I place the
password in Kwallet.  Then later I enter an area that requires a
password.  Do I have to open Kwallet to be reminded what the password
is, then enter it, or when I enter the password protected site Kwallet
opens the site automatically.  I just don't want to have to open Kwallet
and then type the password into the protected site to open it.  I only
want to do the password task one time.  If Kwallet does the work for me,
then I want to use it.  When I click on Ebay in my bookmarks, my
username and password are entered for me; all I have to do is click
enter and it opens.  If that happens using Kwallet, I want Kwallet.  And
if that is the case, what do you suggest, my 37 unrelated number, symbol
letter in any case password that I somehow can remember?  I open it on
boot up and forget passwords wherever I go?  If you come up with the
answers I want, I will regret not using it.  I have just been so busy
learning basics, I haven't had time to learn some of the jewels that I
know are in KDE.  In time I will, but it will take time.  You can make
the Kwallet decision for me right now by telling me how it works with
relationship to my wants.  Thanks!  Steven