SOLVED Re: How do I get Kmail to show on the Kmenu/Internet dropdown again? SOLVED

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 16 19:53:54 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Billie Walsh wrote:
>>

>>> On 11/15/2008 Steven Vollom wrote:
>>>

> Instead of removing something to make a menu shorter I find it better to
> use the menu editor to create groups  and group some programs by what
> they do in order to get them off the main menu. Create a group called
> "Browsers" in the "Internet" group and move all the web browsers into
> that group for instance. In this way _all_ the browsers you might have
> installed are in one menu not scattered among all the other stuff in
> your "Internet" group.. Do the same for all your mail programs and so on.
>
> I've never used Kmail so I can't help you there.

I have installed and can receive emails in Kmail.  I haven't been able
to get the send configuration right yet, so I cannot send yet, but all
fonts increase in size fine using Kmail.  I think it will become my
default server.  It looks like it has the things I want.
> _Thunderbird:_
>
> Mouse clicks : Edit > Preferences > Display > Formatting > Fonts
>
> Here you can set font sizes. Mine is set to 18 for the same reason you
> want to set your larger. E-mails received in an HTML format may override
> any settings you have for that e-mail.

I have searched and searched and come up with the same result.  Since I
cannot increase the size of all the fonts, I have decided to change mail
servers.  If Kmail doesn't satisfy me, I will try until I can find one
that increases all print size to a minimum that is acceptable.

I may even change browsers, because even though I like Firefox, there is
something very attractive about having both browser and email in the
same program.  In fact, it appears that Dolphin, Konqueror, and Kmail
are seamlessly in the same offering.  I may be wrong, but it looks that
way.  That is really attractive, because you stay in the same package
all the time, kind of a one click thing.  I was not prepared for how
much I would like having a larger monitor.  This 22" seems perfect.
There is little horizontal scrolling required ever, and my old eyes get
a rest because of the increase in print size.
> _Firefox:_
>
> Mouse clicks : Edit > Preferences > Content > Advanced
>
> Here you can set a minimum font size. Here again, mine is set to 18.
> This setting may not work on EVERY web page because the web page
> designer has some control over fonts and sizes. If they specify
> something different in their web page it may override any setting you
> have made while your viewing the page.

I got this information yesterday.  It has been wonderful using the
browser, but now I am considering changing to Konqueror.  You suggested
not having knowledge about Kmail.  I didn't like it when I first tried
it, however, I was still much less knowledgeable about how to operate
Linux.  Now, with a little more experience, it looks like KDE's method
may be very much better.  I can already see that when I get send
configured properly Kmail looks much better to me.  I am anxious to work
the package.  It appears that having that address bar at the top you can
go directly to files in your computer, or directly to the internet, or
write or answer an email.  I haven't really looked into it yet, because
I am focused on mail, but my cursory glance saw those possibilities.
And if they aren't there, they should be if possible.  I have a poor old
memory, but if my experience confirms what I just said, I will try to
give you an appraisal after I have used it a bit.

Steven