Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:46:16 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 1:34:32 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> > Not to mention an attitude change from the developers who refuse to do
> > something wrong, just because everybody else does it.  If a web page
> > displays in FF and IE, then it has to display equally well in Konqueror,
> > whether or not it complies with standards.
>
> Could you post some example websites?

I just lent a friend a Kubuntu laptop.  When I set him up as a user, I never
logged on as him so I forgot to create a memu or desktop icon for firefox (I
installed in /opt rather than the repos because I didn't want to install the
repos gnome dependencies.)

So naturally, he clicked Konqueror (which Kubuntu calls "Konqueror Web
Browser").  I get a paniced call from him that he can't do anything in
Hotmail.  It displays, but when he clicks on stuff, nothing happens.

After testing Hotmail in Firefox and determining that it works fine, I
realized he was using Konqueror.  So I walked him through starting Firefox
via Alt+ F2, and all was well again.

You may say, "Hotmail is evil and ignores standards."

"So what," I reply, "are you saying former Windows users with established
Hotmail accounts aren't welcome to KDE?"