Flash 10 in Hardy?

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 17:29:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 7:21:57 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> OK, that sounds straight forward. Do I then have to make symlinks to the
> new Flash in /opt? Or just copy the relevant files to /? -- I just had a
> look in /usr/lib/ for the existing Flash plugin and I must admit that I am
> now somewhat confused. There are several dirs, including:
> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
> /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.3/plugins (which is actually a link to
> /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins (which is empty).
> and:
> /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree (which contains the libflashplayer.so file).
>
> So, where do I put the libflashplayer.so for Flash 10?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

If I can offer a suggestion.  Perhaps you don't want to completely replace
Flash 9.  If you only ever use Firefox, then go ahead.  But if you use
Konqueror for any reason, you need to use 9 with it.  10 is terrible with
Konqueror.  (In fact, it's not all that solid on Firefox, but it works most of
the time.)

I would suggest doing the default install, then copying it to the
.mozilla/plugins in your home directory.  Then make sure that the plugin
directory list in Konqueror either doesn't have that directory listed or that
it's moved to the bottom of the list.  In this way, you'll still be able to
use 9 in Konqueror while Firefox will use 10.