Konqueror rules, Dolphin must die

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:58:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
>>> Would you really want Peter to come across a message that he should have
>>> his fingers cut off?
>>
>> Cutting off a programmer's fingers might be painful but I am not so
>> sure it is rude.
>
> The act is not rude, it's criminal (and such a mail could be prosecuted
> here).  Suggesting it is definitely rude.
>
>> Cohen, why did they write Dolphine? I mean what was really wrong with
>> Konqueror?
>
> What was really wrong with konqueror was that it the file manager part was
> completely stagnant - I'm not sure anybody was working on it.  So Dolphin
> was started to provide a first-class file manager.  It was certainly
> introduced too soon to Kubuntu.
> --
> derek

I just watched, "My big fat Greek wedding". I think that the lover's 2
sets of parents and their cultural differences are very much at play
here. I of course could be wrong but it looks like that to me. One
person is very open and aggressive and loud in his self expression and
the other is used to a more quite and subtle way of self expression.

It is a bit like the 2 cultures were one stands a hand's distance face
to face to talk and the other stands 1 meter back. They end up chasing
each other around the room as one steps in and the other backs up to
get to what they expect to be the right distance to talk. I know
having been in this place and having been the 1 meter guy that I kept
feeling like the other man was hitting on me. He was not.

So on this list mostly people are much more subtle and very soft, no
swearing or threats of graphic displays of emotion are liked for the
most part. Those of you that want to have a good time here just need
to learn this bit of culture to get along here.

I think that the theme of only making a program standard on Kubuntu
has come up a lot in the last year. There are a lot of cases of people
being unhappy with programs with big problems being made standard
before they are really ready. Examples are Dolphine and KDE4.
Both of these would have ended up with much more love and even
celebration if they had been available but kept in the background for
at least 6 more months than they were. IN the case of KDE4, I think
they should have at least had kde3 as a background option on our
newest Kubuntu. I should have been easy to see that a lot of people
will still want it for at least one more year. Dolphine did not piss
me off nearly as much because I could have my Konqueror back with a
few clicks. I might have even liked it, if it had been made standard 6
months later with all the fixes that have been talked about. As it is
I never want to try it again. As they say you only get one chance to
make a good impression. The Kubuntu devs need to wake up to this fact.

Does Dolphine still leave it's droppings in each folder it looks into?
I REALLY don't like that.

Best,
--
Douglas E Knapp