konversation keeps getting owned

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Mar 29 16:03:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Newsgroups will be slightly slower due to the batch nature of updating the
> news spool.

Plus only one post in every 142,000 isn't spam.  I was a big Usenet guy for
the longest time, but I finally gave up for good.  Haven't started a
newsreader in years.

> LOL.  I'm perplexed by what appears to me to be a resurgence of IRC for
> support - essentially, ever since I started using Ubuntu, where the devs
> use IRC a lot,

Yeah, they do.  I got invited to join some channel or other several months
ago, and haven't gotten around to it yet.  Probably won't.

> I hate it - I can't stand the interleaving of discussion.

I can't stand waiting on somebody to finish typing something already.  I don't
care how slowly you type, or how long it takes you to organize and compose
your thoughts, just don't make me sit here on the clock waiting on your slow
ass.

It drives me NUTS!

I can't stand any other forms of IM either.  I was on ICQ for awhile, many
years ago, and after I had had the little icon set to invisible or whatever
for a couple of months, I realized what I needed to do.

On top of everything else, I just don't like changing my plan from moment to
moment to suit someone else's unpredictable schedule.  I just settled down to
do whatever, and lo, now somebody has randomly sat down in front of his
computer, and wants me to make time to chat RIGHT NOW.

Getting a phone call is kind of the same thing, but it's less annoying because
phone behavior is still rooted in the days when calls cost money, and there's
some pressure to have the chat, get it out, and hang up already.  What people
want you to do on IM is the equivalent of expecting you to sit around with
the phone stuck to your ear for five hours in order to exchange three brief
snippets of conversation.

Just not my speed at all.  No thank you.  IRC, AIM, ICQ, and whatever else,
you can keep them all.  The only time I've ever messed about with any of that
nonsense was when I was setting Linux up for teenage children of friends.

I guess I'm just a crotchety old bastard.

A little ranting has been fun though.  :)
--
D. Michael McIntyre