e-sata question

Sam Fielder srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu
Sun Mar 23 16:03:19 UTC 2008

Donn wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but I have not even herd of e-sata.
> Thanks anyway.
>
> e-sata is 'external sata'. The drive is a sata drive (very different
> connection to an IDE) and it's in a case. It has USB and another connector
> for plugging into the PC. USB works fine, but I wanted to try the other
> connector -- that is the e-sata side of things. Apparently one can get
> awesome tranfer speeds that way.
>
> I am fairly sure I enabled the sata stuff in the BIOS, but I could be wrong.
> It's just interesting that I can find no mention of it in the messages or
> logs and plugging-in via that connection has no effect at all -- so I was
> generally wondering if sata/e-sata was supported on Gnu/Linux at all?
>
> \d

I have a WD usb/esata hooked up via esata to my edubuntu box no problem.

I am having trouble figuring out what you are having difficulty with.

the drive works on usb. But nothing on the esata?

what is your desired result? auto mount on boot?

are you on a desktop or laptop?

is your esata controller on a pci with external/internal (aftermarket),
or is it onboard (oem built-in)?

Sam