Disk on Key slowly getting smaller

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:05:06 UTC 2008

2008/3/9, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> On 09/03/2008, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 2008/3/9, Seakat <seakat at orange.fr>:
>  >
>  > > Gene and other Kubuntu'ers
>  >  >  The only good reason for using a FAT partition with Linux is that you sometimes use Windows, right (or perhaps your camera gives you no choice)?
>  >  >  So for anyone who has lost data on a FAT or other Windows partition (like me!), there is a good free Windows application for undeleting files, called Handy Recovery http://www.handyrecovery.com/ . As soon as you notice the problem, try very hard to avoid writing anything to the partition until you've run the application.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Cheers, seakat
>  >  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Remember this is a linux mail list and people running linux and we are not
>  >  used to pay for our software.
>  >  Handy Recovery is not what i call a free software.The trial version can recover
>  >  one file per day and that is not a option if you have some 100+ files on your
>  >  camera flash card.
>

> Not true. I am a Linux user, and I have absolutely no problem paying
>  for software. I payed for Opera when it cost money, and I'll pay for
>  Photoshop the day it becomes available. I'll probably pay for quicken
>  as well.
>
>  It's FUD like you mention that prevents businesses from porting
>  software to Linux, in fact, that's the reason that they write software
>  for Windows in the first place. If your ideals or your wallet dictate
>  that you will only use FOSS software, that's fine. But don't think
>  that you represent everybody, because you don't, and you hurt the
>  community by trying to represent the community in a way that it does
>  not want to be represented.
>

>  Dotan Cohen

I don't really see the point with your response on my response. All i say is
that probably the majority on this list don't use Windows and probably don't
want to pay $40 when there is other good software that you can run for
free without restrictions so for most people here Handy recovery is
not the best tool for the job.
I don't say it's not a good software or that i speak for everybody on the list.

With your response it looks like you think that i think linux can't have
commercial software and i think that FOSS is the golden and only path, well
i don't. You must have read something between the line that i don't ment.

/Jonas