Disk on Key slowly getting smaller

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 15:48:33 UTC 2008

On Sunday 09 March 2008, Seakat wrote:
[...]
>Gene and other Kubuntu'ers
>The only good reason for using a FAT partition with Linux is that you
> sometimes use Windows, right (or perhaps your camera gives you no choice)?
> So for anyone who has lost data on a FAT or other Windows partition (like
> me!), there is a good free Windows application for undeleting files, called
> Handy Recovery http://www.handyrecovery.com/ . As soon as you notice the
> problem, try very hard to avoid writing anything to the partition until
> you've run the application.

Which for winderz users, might be ok.  The camera's filesystem is the makers
choice, not mine.  And I only have 1 windows install, I left XP 20gb in case
I ever got around to using XP on my lappy, but so far I've not been forced to
do so.  Everything I've wanted to do, I've generally been able to do with
linux.  And, some filesystems I know enough about that I can go walking
around in their playpen with a hex based editor as long as access to the
complete device is available.  Since I was familiar with that mode in os-9,
that was the toolset I used. At the disk image level, many of the simpler
filesystems begin to resemble each other, hence my comment about the
half-assed undelete I did.  That file was in fact not made readable other
than its entry in the directory, but its presence in that sector as a
supposedly valid filename did enable the rest of the directory to be scanned
and shown to the user.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)