Please keep it civil

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 2 13:15:18 UTC 2008

Scott wrote:

> Michael Leone wrote:

>> Mailing lists are more generally read than Launchpad wishlists/bugs.
>> If I'm interested in using a new program, I know I'm much more likely
>> to ask a mailing list for experiences or recommendations, than to read
>> some bug filing site.

> What are you really trying to get out of this list if you are unwilling
> to tell the developers your problems?

That should be "unwilling _or unable_".

> This list will have few, if any,
> KDE developers that will actually read your concerns.

That's not supportable.  Clearly a number of the senior developers _do_ read
this list - as they post occasionally in response.  Perhaps more
importantly, a number of Canonical employees also read it.

When you have a whole list of problems, and no clear idea where the problems
begin, this is an entirely appropriate place to start.  Nobody appreciates
(or pays attention) to bugs filed against the whole of KDE on launchpad.

> People's rants (Good and bad) are best said either on the develops list,
> where you are guaranteed to have developers, or submitted as a bug,
> where you are also guaranteed developers.  I don't understand why you
> think developers ignore bug request like M$ does and I don't have a clue
> why someone would think this list would be best for ranting to developers.

I don't understand why you think developers ignore users.  My experience
with developer lists is that they explicitly _don't_ want rants on the
developer list.  They want discussion of discrete issues, preferably with
patch suggestions.

> I also don't understand why these rants are allowed on this list and I
> really don't understand why people are being mistreated on this list for
> pointing that out; thank you Richard for trying.  This list is only for
> help and Kubuntu discussion, not ranting.

That just deserves some foul language.  I don't understand why people are
continually allowed to try to invoke some right to limit discussion on this
list.

> I know if rants are going to
> be allowed on this list I don't think I am going to help anymore people
> on this list

Good.  Sorry, you just pushed my buttons.  I don't need to read people
telling me how they will only operate on their terms.  It's a given, so
just stop whining, and either stay or go.
--
derek