KMail from many platforms

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Wed Jan 2 12:25:58 UTC 2008

On Monday 31 December 2007 20:17, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > I installed postfix and created an IMAP account in KMail.
> > KMail first connected to localhost but the IMAP folder never got new mail
> > (although I could copy some there from within KMail )
>
> Almost certainly because postfix is dropping mail in /var/mail/$USER/ or
> dovecot is looking for it in ~/Maildir/
Not so, I get new mail in ~/Maildir/...

> > I played for days with the postfix and dovecot config files and
> > ownership/authorisations of my folders and as a result I messed up things
> > that functionned previously. Now KMail tells me it cannot connect to
> > localhost.
>
> dovecot's not running.
Right, thanks,
it was running at some time ( I checked with ps) but at some point it stopped.
I didn't notice because (to be sure it would take modifications of the config
file) I used to stop and restart it... the sudo /etc/init.d/dovecot start was
silent and ineffective.
I had tried to reinstall dovecot to no avail.
It started to work again after a sudo
apt-get --purge remove dovecot-common dovecot-imapd
and reinstall   (well I guess)  :o):o)
As a bonus I receive the log messages.

Dovecot-log:
dovecot: Jan 01 18:37:10 Error: IMAP(Perry): mkdir(/home/Perry/Maildir/cur)
failed: Permission denied               (*)see more about that later

Sendmail does send new messages in the new directory next to this cur (which
exists already)
I have been fighting with this for weeks, trying to change owner and
permissions for Maildir and settings in config file.

(*)Then I noticed there is no /home/Perry/Maildir/cur, only
a /home/perry/Maildir/cur  (no capital on perry).
The capital P probably comes from my account in KMail, I'll investigate...
Have to modify /etc/dovecot/passwd to have perry uncapitalised also.
	The dummer the mistake, the harder to correct.
Great, now it works, I get mail in the IMAP folder.  :o))

I will now experiment and probably come back with new questions.

Thanks a lot            Perry
--
BOFH excuse #200: The monitor needs another box of pixels