KMail from many platforms

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jan 2 14:15:19 UTC 2008

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:

> On Monday 31 December 2007 20:17, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
>> > I installed postfix and created an IMAP account in KMail.
>> > KMail first connected to localhost but the IMAP folder never got new
>> > mail (although I could copy some there from within KMail )
>>
>> Almost certainly because postfix is dropping mail in /var/mail/$USER/ or
>> dovecot is looking for it in ~/Maildir/
> Not so, I get new mail in ~/Maildir/...

So you said, but you're not seeing it in KMail - so either it's directly
related to the fact that dovecot wasn't running, or dovecot is looking
elsewhere... see below.

> As a bonus I receive the log messages.
>
> Dovecot-log:
> dovecot: Jan 01 18:37:10 Error: IMAP(Perry):
> mkdir(/home/Perry/Maildir/cur)
> failed: Permission denied               (*)see more about that later

Ah so - obviously, dovecot _is_ looking elsewhere.

> Sendmail does send new messages in the new directory next to this cur
> (which exists already)
> I have been fighting with this for weeks, trying to change owner and
> permissions for Maildir and settings in config file.
>
> (*)Then I noticed there is no /home/Perry/Maildir/cur, only
> a /home/perry/Maildir/cur  (no capital on perry).
> The capital P probably comes from my account in KMail, I'll investigate...

Yes.

> Have to modify /etc/dovecot/passwd to have perry uncapitalised also.

NO!!!  In fact, you shouldn't ever need to modify /etc/dovecot/passwd - it's
all pam based, and if the mail user has a linux account, that should be
used.  I hadn't even realized I _could_ modify passwords directly - I just
create a non-login user account for every extra mail account I want.
--
derek