which wireless router?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Feb 23 18:32:28 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> So I finally have the readies for a new Dell laptop (the ones without
> that 'other' os) and I'm in the market for a wireless (plus wired)
> router. Trouble is, I checked for available models and there are just
> too many to be able to make a good decision.
>
> Anybody want to offer some advice?

I don't know if I would call it advice, but the Linksys WRT54GL works for
me.

> I want to be able to use our existing wired home network and have the
> wirelss option for my new laptop.

The Linksys has 4 wired ports + 1 port for internet - I hope that is
enough for you. And don't forget to use WPA or WPA2 encryption for the
wireless port, don't use the default SSID and passwort.

> What's the difference between the ones with one antenna, two antennas
> or even 3?

The more antennas the better the look :)

But seriously: If there are several antennas the router can use the
antenna with the best signal - i.e. if you have more antennas it may be
better for a low signal connection due to long distance or high
attenuation from walls etc. If both the router and the laptop are in the
same room, the number of antennas usually doesn't matter.

> Is there a preference [for us linux users] to a certain
> brand - ie. Netgear, D-link, Edimax or 3Com - which ones work best with
> Linux (that is being able to set them up and adjust security)?

I don't think there are any modern routers which can't be configured by a
web interface. Maybe it doesn't work with Konqueror, if it uses some ugly
javascript, but it should at least work with firefox.

And then there are those people who want to run Linux on the router. If
that is important to you, check the availability of openwrt or ddwrt for
the router you want to use. However, you might void your warranty if you
don't use the original firmware.

Nils