Accented characters: sudden strange difficulty to produce them.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:15:11 UTC 2008

Hey Donn

> Can you get accented characters in other KDE apps like Kate and Kedit?

For the laptop, the answer is no: apart from OpenOffice, no other
application produces them, also not KDE apps like Kate - a piece of
software I use frequently. But at the DESKTOP, all the applications do
produce these accented characters: apart from O.O., also Kate,
Thunderbird, Firefox, etc, etc.

> If so, perhaps you can write in those and copy/paste into Firefox.

Such a provisional solution I use now - I open an OpenOffice (writer)
document and copy-paste such characters from there unto all other aps.
>  The thing here is that Firefox and thunderbird are not native KDE apps and,
> as such, they have only marginal contact with the KDE system. I think you
> need to focus on them and not KDE. As to what to do exactly... perhaps visit
> the mozilla lists or forums for better advice.

At the laptop, the problem is exactly the same at both KDE and non KDE
software. At the desktop, the key board settings do work perfectly in
ALL the applications, from whatever origin. There must be some
difference between the laptop and desktop I do not manage to find,
though the settings I do know are exactly the same at both machines. The
missing link I am looking for at the laptop is or are some settings that
do effect the whole system.
> It could be that you simply need some plugin or setting for those two apps.
> Open Office is also unconnected to KDE, but they have done something right
> bcause it's working.
OpenOffice at this laptop exactly works according to the settings I give
via KDE: system settings > regional and language > key board settings,
etc. At the desktop, all the applications do work accordingly. ?????

>  This indicates, to me, that the underlying system (X) is
> doing the right thing and that only Firefox and Thunderbird are being
> stubborn.

I wish you would have been right, but the problem is a bit more complex
as you can see above. Thank you anyway for your creative input in this
discussion!

Respectfully Yours,
Bas.