Remote desktop

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 13:32:02 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 2:06 PM, David Fletcher <kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net> wrote:
> At 12:35 07/02/2008, you wrote:
>
> >Just turn the firewall of will not help. 99% of all home routers will use
> >Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
> >i.e. you got one external/public ip-address on the router and an
> >internal ip-address
> >on your computer. So if you want to access your computer from internet you
> >need to translate the external ip and port in the router to your
> >computers ip and
> >port. It should be something like "port forward" in the router that
> >you need to configure.
> >
> >/ Jonas
>
> Got to be careful here, I think. I'm no expert, but on my router
> which is a fairly old Belkin model, as I recall it says in the config
> pages that you can only do port forwarding if you have a fixed IP
> address from the ISP.
>
> If I was to tell it a lie to get port forwarding to operate, would I
> end up screwing myself by stopping the router asking for DHCP service
> from the ISP? I guess it has to do that.
>
> If the OP has a fixed IP address then no problem, but if not be
> careful is what I'm saying.

Are you sure it not say that you need a fixed address for your computers
on the internal net? All routers i have used has always been able to handle DHCP
on external nic and still use forwarding. On the internal net you probably need
to set a static ip. Add your nics MAC address for at static ip in the
DHCP-Server
config on the router.

/ Jonas