KDE tuneup

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Dec 10 15:07:43 UTC 2008

I've been struggling with a horribly slow (at times) system ever since
installing Intrepid and KDE 4.1.

I started by removing compiz, as I couldn't care less about it and it
often appeared in top (though not _at_ the top).  No noticeable effect.

Today, I was trying to find a specific message in knode in the Ubuntu-
users list and the system was grinding to a crawl while kontact used 95%
of the CPU.  I discovered that at some time I'd turned off message expiry
(pretty silly really, since I don't directly access news servers - but
do it through a local leafnode server, which _does_ expire messages).
Amazingly, running expiry on all my newsgroup folders seems to have
spend knode/kontact enormously, and the system hasn't slowed since.
--
derek