Problems with kwin and kwallet.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Dec 9 08:28:51 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > My suggestion would be that you stop reinstalling all the packages
> > that seem to be not working.
>
> The only broken packages are Kwin and Kwallet (and perhaps KDEwallet).
> Since removal of Kwallet, Kwin won't stay running, and I don't know how
> to navigate the desktop without the drag capability offered by Kwin.

In a terminal you can use the cd command to enter a particular directory
and with the ls command you can list files. Use "ls -A" to list hidden
files also. So if you use the commands

cd $HOME/.kde/share/config
ls kwin*

you will see config files for kwin (there may be more than one). You can
rename them with commands like

mv kwinrc kwinrc.orig

but don't use wildcards for renaming.

> When Kwallet is removed, it still keeps asking for a Kwallet password,
> as though it is still in the system.

Are you sure? You should only be asked for a login password. And maybe if
you want to receive / send mails you would be asked for your account
passwords but I can't think of any reason why a program might ask for the
kwallet password if kwallet isn't installed.

> > Your personal configuration files for KDE are in "$HOME/.kde/".
>
> It was rc files that fixed my Email problem.  Are rc files always
> configuration files?  That would be nice to know.

Well, most files ending with "rc" are configuration files but certainly
not ALL of them.

> > so search for a directory kwallet and remove that directory.
>
> Unless I hear otherwise, I will rename it too.  I am leery of removing
> stuff I don't know the contents.

It sure makes sense to rename it instead of deleting.

> > Then when you save the new kmail setup don't use a password for
> > kwallet.
>
> If I don't enter a password, is it just going to keep coming up every
> time I send an email?  I thought that I had indicated in kmail
> configuration that the password and username were to be remembered, and
> still kwallet came up.

If you have set kdewallet to use no password it shouldn't ask again. At
least that's how it works here.

Nils