kubuntu 8.10 amd 64b

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:56:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Brian Norman Wootton
<Brian.Meg at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> Setting up flash on a 64 bit system is tedious and requires the use of 32
>> > bit browsers which in turn is also a tedious process.
>> >
>> > Also unless you will be working with really large numbers and large
>> > calculations you probably will not see any benefit with the 64 bit.
>> >
>> > IMHO, the process involved to get 64 bit running smoothing to gain some
>> > extra computations the average user will probably never use, isn't worth
>> > the hassle.

I am sorry but this is total, no, well anyway, it is false.
Just install the 32 bit browser on your 64 bit system with apt-get or
whatever you normally use. No problems at all, no big deal! I have
both FF installed on a 64 bit Kubuntu and the 64 bit is a bit snappier
but no big deal.

FF does nothing that needs a super CPU or huge amounts of memory so in
this way he is correct that 64 bit is overkill but don't let that stop
you from wasting your 64 bit cpu!

Here is a web page with all the ins and outs of all the possible ways
of doing it.

Douglas E Knapp