Spider Solitaire

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 03:39:28 UTC 2008

Wulfy wrote:
> Brian Norman Wootton wrote:

>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:51:10 +0100
>>> From: iodine at runbox.no
>>> Subject: Re: Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**
>>> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

>> That's KPatience, one of the first few things I looked for, it looks
>> like the same set Vista's got, prefer freecell myself
>> brian
>>

> There's a program called Spider:
>
> wulfy at wulfy-desktop:~$ apt-cache show
> spider
> Package:
> spider
> <dwarf at polaris.net>
> Architecture:
> amd64
> Version: 1.2-4ubuntu2
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libsm6, libx11-6,
> libxaw7, libxext6, libxmu6, libxpm4, libxt6
> Filename: pool/universe/s/spider/spider_1.2-4ubuntu2_amd64.deb
> Size: 118406
> MD5sum: 14c833e180582830fb3e072f191db02d
> SHA1: 588f5c5eb00a6ea312489a88914b239a09206cd1
> SHA256: 9fbad00f2ef682359de1184b1b356bf6ae677351f0186166efe642f38cbf4bd0
> Spider is delivered in two forms: small.spider is for systems without high
> resolution screens so the board will fit on the screen; round.spider has
> prettier card backs but takes up more room on the screen.
> .
> The default is round.spider. If you wish to use small.spider, either call
> it directly, or change the link /usr/games/spider to point to
> small.spider instead of round.spider.
> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Origin: Ubuntu
>
> It might be what you're looking for...  :@)

Thanks Wulfmann,

I am so stupid.  I had it installed.  It was in the kpatience game.
When I opened the 2nd level Spider Solitaire, it plays almost the same
as the Microsoft version.  I like it.  It has been 3 years since I
played it.  It took a dozen losses before I found out what I had done to
get the high win results I experienced.

I can't stand to play 9 losing games to win one, so I changed the
rules.  It took a long time before my memory refreshed to what I had
done.  My game is a lot better.  Everyone can win 80% of their games and
still feel tested.  I was playing the game for different reasons than
most people.  I was using it as an exercise to restore my memory.  I
played very fast, requiring snap decisions and fast calculations.  I
forced myself to play faster than I could evaluate the data to get my
mind to work harder.  Still I have losing, so I didn't play the hands
that I knew were futile.  I found starting hands that have about an 8
out of 10 probability of victory, because of the head start they give
the player.  Then I determined that you didn't win, if you didn't
finish.  And you have to finish the game to stop playing.  Therefore,
time became the challenging factor.  You would play until all the cards
were retired.  There were no other rules in my game.  You could skip 100
hands to find one you thought you had a chance of finishing, but all
those hands you passed over took up time, so when you finally achieve
success and retire the total board, the time it takes you determines
your success.

I remember I completed one game in 98 moves using two suits.  It was my
fastest even though I didn't keep a record of time then.  It may take
150 moves to win, when there is nothing you can do to cheat.  It may
take 500 moves.  Surely a 500 move game takes a long time, but in the
end, you have removed all the cards from the board and felt some sort of
victory.  A million players could compete this way and have but one
winner in a very challenging contest.  Like I said, no rules except
finishing to be a winner.  So if you think backing up to a move you wish
you hadn't made is a good idea, you do it.  You just can't retrieve the
time you lost which ultimately counts against you.  If you want, I will
send you the rules and an explanation of play, but don't play the game
if you don't want to get hooked.  Unlike other games it gives too much
pleasure and the feeling of too much accomplishment, and actually
becomes a very sophisticated game where stradegy is important.  Still as
for me, I use it to help improve my memory.  It is not so much a game.

Cordially,
Steven