find modem

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 20 12:42:42 UTC 2008

John Heinen wrote:

> I installed opensuse on a gateway  64 bit dual core  (win vista)
> computer, while installing opensuse, the installer noted no modem found!
> Does that mean it was unable to read the factory installed modem?
> There is a modem though, I use it for vista
> What would the command be  for opensuse to find  and recognise the modem
> present?

Er, this is a Kubuntu list...

However, Kubuntu might have no more luck than SuSE, as strictly the
installer was probably right - your system probably has what is called
a "softmodem", which means that it doesn't have a genuine modem and the
functionality is done in software.  Without some clue about what sort of
modem you have, even the SuSE support lists won't be able to help you.
--
derek