find modem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Aug 20 04:33:35 UTC 2008

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 07:13:23 pm John Heinen wrote:
> > I installed opensuse on a gateway  64 bit dual core  (win vista)
> > computer, while installing opensuse, the installer noted no modem
> > found! Does that mean it was unable to read the factory installed
> > modem? There is a modem though, I use it for vista
> > What would the command be  for opensuse to find  and recognise the
> > modem present?

Maybe it would be better if the question was posted on a Suse mailing
list? Not that I want to drive someone away from this list, but Opensuse
and Kubuntu are quite different distributions and there may be only few
people here who know about the specifics of Opensuse.

> The problem is many WinModems cannot be run from within Linux.  The
> good news is that there are a good number of them that can now.  Do
> some Google searching for your modem.  There used to be a website
> "winmodem.org" or something like that which listed what drivers worked
> with winmodems in Linux.
>
> Some one here should be able to correct me on that website address I'm
> sure.

It seems to be <http://www.linmodems.org/>.

Nils