Samba Samba!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 18 14:29:26 UTC 2007

Donn wrote:

>> Yes.  I think...  Which way are you trying to go?  I think you're trying
>> to read files on the XP system from the Linux system,
> Yes, kind of. Well, to tell the truth I wanted to have a 2 way street and
> just see what samba was all about.
>
>> in which case, it's got
>> nothing to do with smbpasswd.  smbpasswd that sets the username/password
>> that Windows clients will use to access the linux box.

> So, that username/password that XP is asking me for (when trying to map a
> network drive to //donnsbox/Myfiles is not asking me for my samba
> password? Seems weird.

If "donnsbox" is the linux machine, then yes, it's looking for the
username/password set via smbpasswd.   When XP is the client, it asks you
for the server's (the linux box) username/password.  When Linux is the
client it asks for the Windows username/password.  Of course, both machines
could be using the same Domain Controller, in which case the credentials
are the same, but lets not confuse things too much!

>> The username/password for the Linux client to access the Windows boxen is
>> set in KDE System Settings/Sharing/Local Network Browsing.

> Cool, I'm off to visit kcontrol.
>
>> However, iirc,
>> SMB is NOT capable of using blank passwords.  If you are going to
>> restrict shares to specific users you MUST give the user a password.

> Tah, I'll give my user on XP a password and see what gives.

I can't remember where I know that from, but I'm fairly confident I'm
right :-)
--
derek