Boot video problem SOLVED

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:38:07 UTC 2007

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> Hi Stew,
>
> *Foreword*
> Contrary to some other people on lists I don't object receiving mail from a
> list in my name. Remember that writing to the list may increase the odds of
> getting a valid answer, In any case do report to the list if you find a
> solution.

*Backward*
Ooops. I never saw your first posting on the list. It came to me
directly, and I thought, for some reason, you objected to responding
on-list, so was trying to follow your lead. Sorry.

> On Sunday 02 September 2007 01:53, Stew Schneider wrote:
>
>>> Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
>>> Could a video problem freeze the computer? If not you should be able
>>> to get some noticeable reaction (disk activity) from the computer with
>>> keyboard shortcuts, try ctr-alt + or ctrl-alt - for screen resolution, or
>>> crtl-alt bksp to kill x server, or alt F2 and a command.
>>>

>> Nothing for any commands. I'm using a wired USB keyboard.
>>

> Nothing, no disk activity? Please try something that is sure to cause some
> disk activity such as : alt F2 oowriter /home/stew/mydocument.odt

Tried quite a few things -- no disk activity at all. On a hunch, though,
I edited the boot sequence and removed 'quiet' from it. Kubuntu came up
like a charm.

Go figger. Many thanks for the help, Perry.

stew