Distribution upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 hangs on "configuring libgcc1"

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 31 01:15:11 UTC 2007

darshak shah wrote:
> I tried to upgrade from 7.04 version to 7.10 using the adept package
> manager.
> I had kept the machine in the office over the weekend for
> installation, it had successfully downloaded all the upgrades,
> And when it tried to install them, it was hung on "configuring
> libgcc1" for a long time.
>
> After that, I closed the upgrade process manually, and rebooted the
> machine twice.
> Then when I tried to open the adept manager again, it gives me this error.
>
> "Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the
> other application before using this one."
>

> I have no other application running which is locking the package manager.
> I suspect that when I closed the "Distribution Upgrade" manually, it
> has not released/deleted the corresponding lock file.
>
> After this step I was trying to run "sudo apt-get update" on the
> command line.
> This step ends with this error.
> "
> Fetched 6B in 4s (1B/s)
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
> "
>
> And when I tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a" I get the following error.
>
> darshak at darshak-machine:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0006' near line 2
> package `libc6':
>  `triggers-pendi' is not allowed for third (status) word in `status' field
>
> I have no idea how to move ahead from this step.
> I want to upgrade my distribution to 7.10, and I have all the
> necessary packages downloaded in my "/var/cache/apt/archives/" which
> is approx 1.4 GB, which I do not want the apt manager to download again.
>
> Thank you in Advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Darshak
I don't have the experience to help you, however I had the same response
of another program running.  Unfortunately, I lost my record of the
solution and don't know how to get it back.  One word I remember from
the help I got was the word 'grep'.  What was involved was finding
applications running in the background, then removing them with sudokill
as I recall.  If that makes any sense to you, when you get to that point
and remove those active programs that are running in the back ground,
you should be able to return to a working Adept Package Manager.  I hope
this helps; I have been watching for someone to give you the accurate
solution.  I believe I would recognize it if I saw it again.  Anyway, I
hope this will help you - perhaps by just looking at the problem from a
different direction.

Cordially,

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired  and Kubuntu Linux noob