need to unplug USB drive

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Oct 27 22:16:16 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> But trying to increase the permission at 777 had no effect for user B and
> the setting was back at 755 after su(ing) again to user A.

> 4)	***What do you suggest?***

In looking, I think I've suggested this before, because this file looks
familiar.  I don't remember if the person I tried to help last time had any
success or not.  No clue.

It looks like the file to edit to change what permissions these things get
mounted with automatically is /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules

There's a line in there:

# USB devices (usbfs replacement)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",                MODE="0664"

I think I'd change that to read:

# USB devices (usbfs replacement)
#SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",                MODE="0664"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",                MODE="0000"

And see if you magically get things mounted world writeable by everybody.

I'm just pulling this out my ass though, and have no fricking idea if it's the
right approach, or will even work.  I haven't actually had more than one user
on the same computer in a very long time, and have never run into your issue
first-hand.

So take these thoughts for what they're worth, which might be zippity doodah.
--
D. Michael McIntyre