my computer hangs from time to time and...

Peter Lewis prlewis at
Sun Oct 7 21:33:05 BST 2007

Hi Paul,

On Sunday 07 October 2007 20:58:13 Paul wrote:
> My computer is hanging from time to time. It just freezes. Usually
> when I'm using e-mule and letting it working long time, but it's not a
> temperature problem because usually works well for days and nights and
> then, in any moment, it hangs.

Does the machine freeze permanently, requiring a hard-reset? There's an open
bug that affects my laptop, whereby every now and again the machine freezes
completely for about 2 mins and then just starts going again...

If not, perhaps there's a problem with either the memory or the hard disk,
which is only realised when it's doing lots of work.

You can run 'memcheck' from the grub menu IIRC to discount the RAM problem,
though I've heard it's best to let the thing run a few times to be sure.