skype on kubuntu?

Terence Simpson stdin at stdin.me.uk
Sun Nov 25 12:30:33 UTC 2007

Knapp wrote:
> <SNIP>
> As to Terence, have you had your system wrecked?
Yep, and some friends have too, not to mention the number of people on
#kubuntu IRC whose systems were wrecked.
>   Or is this like alligators
> in the NY drains?
Nope.
>  What happened? I have never seen a system wrecked but I
> have seen a few small problems. Was the system backed up?

Basically killed apt and dpkg. Nothing could be installed or removed at all.
> On second thought, I am done with this. I have been feeding the trolls
> again. There are lots of posts all over the net about this subject. Why
> waste more time? Read, learn, and help open source grow with good vibes and
> good work.
> Douglas

I have learnt not to use it and so have others, I have read about it and
I have looked at what it does in detail. It's far too "generic" in it's
source, it will most definitely NOT work for everyone and it easily
breakable (that's one of the reasons it's not supported by the (K)Ubuntu
community).

All advocating automatix serves is to encourage others to install and
possibly damage their systems, then to ask for help only to be told
"Sorry, nothing we can do for you."
This is not just about us saying "don't use it because *we* don't like
it", we are TRYING to protect naive people from installing some
potentially very dangerous software and then not being able to get any
real support when it breaks.

Also, as to you feeling like you're "feeding the trolls". I had the same
debate as to whether I should reply to your comments in the first place,
knowing that you'd reply with some twisted logic about it.
(If you're wondering what I mean by "twisted logic", I'll show you:
"That said, this list provides support as would the automatix list. So
it is supported." )

Terence