setting konq default view

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:15:54 UTC 2007

On 23/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton at wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> D. R. Evans wrote:
> > I know I have done this in the past, but I can't find my notes anywhere :-(
> >
> > In konq, how do I configure it so that whenever I use it as a file
> > manager, I always get a tree view instead of icons?
> >
> > Sorry to ask such a basic question. I've looked in all the menus, and
> > I can't find anything that suggests that it will change the default
> > view. I tried setting the view to tree view and then saving the
> > profile, thinking that surely that would work -- it didn't :-(

> Go to console and select the profile:
>
>         konqueror --profile "Detailed File Management"
>
> ("Detailed File Management" is the profile I created myself,
> using Konqueror's gui interface.)
>
> You can also list the available profiles:
>
>         man konqueror
>
> When I look in the KDE Menu Editor, I see the command line
> for Konqueror is:
>
>         kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing
>
> Changing the profile works:
>
>         kfmclient openProfile "Detailed File Management"

I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all what you are telling me to
do. All I want to do is to set konq so that by default I see a tree
view instead of those ridiculous icons. I don't see anything that even
remotely tells me that in your reply :-(

I can't be the only one here who hates uninformative icons when trying
to manage files, and I'm sure that it must be easy to change (I know
I've done it a bunch of times in the past -- I've been using KDE since
2000, so this is really embarrassing; but for some reason this time I
don't seem to be able to find the right combination of functions to
make the change permanent).