mail notification for t-bird? (for dapper)

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 22:26:47 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre said the following at 11/17/2007 02:17 PM :
> On Saturday 17 November 2007, Donn wrote:
>> Them's the breaks in Linuxland. I just had to move up to Gutsy to get some
>> GTK libs that The Spaghetti monster Himself could not install with all His
>> noodly might on Dapper...
>
> Hah, you made it longer than I did.  Remember how we were both going to sick
> with Dapper until the next LTS came out?

One point to me :-) I'm still surviving (barely) with dapper on my main
machine.

I have learned a lesson from this experience: upgrade frequently. My other
two Kubuntu machines are on gutsy. Every single upgrade experience has been
difficult, but the benefit of not being 5,000 versions behind in each piece
of critical software outweighs the pain of the upgrades.

So next time I'll switch to the semi-annual upgrade cycle along with most
people.

This is a bit funny in a way, because I actually make a living from Linux,
so I figured that the stability and "support" of LTS was something that I
would enjoy. In practice, though, I have found that software advances much
too quickly for a two-year upgrade cycle. I had thought that enough
software would be backported to make this a non-issue (I thought originally
that that was part of what "Long Term Support" was going to mean); but it
seems like almost nothing -- at least, nothing that I use -- is backported.

So when I get a couple of slow days to give me the time to make the move in
a slow and controlled manner, I'll be switching to gutsy on my main machine
too.

Sorry, this thread has moved way off topic.

I could bring it back on topic by mentioning that there's a superkaramba
widget for displaying on the desktop mail awaiting download. But I really
don't recommend superkaramba: it suffers a couple of fundamental design
flaws that I'll be extremely glad to see the end of in KDE4 (apart from the
fact that it's the least stable program I use).

  Doc