Email Client

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Sat Nov 17 18:46:18 UTC 2007

Donn wrote:
>>> Tbird does this without blinking. I think kmail will eventually mature
>>> and be able to do this but for now.
>>>
>> Don't hold your breath.  I haven't seen any indication that the developers
>> see this as any kind of necessity.
>>

> I don't mind much. I see my reply emails as a kind of lesson to those who send
> me HTML mail. OTOH, that kind of sender is usually not savvy enough to even
> realize what they are doing...
>

> /d

It is not a matter of "savvy" it is a matter of being able to work in an
environment where HTML mail is a standard. If you work some place where
Outlook is the standard, you don't have much choice.

There is also something to be said for having your email client retain
the integrity and format of a message. Sometimes those graphics, tables,
bolded and colored sentences communicate more efficiently than plain
text does. To strip it down to just text sometimes causes it to loose
the ability to communicate effectively.

Whether we like it or not HTML formatted emails are a reality. And no
matter much we hate it, fume, fuss and teach less savvy folks lessons,
it will continue and it will grow. An email client that refuses to
accept that reality will only ever be useful to the lone hobbiest who
has the choice to be stubborn about it. It will never be a viable option
for the person that works in a cooperative corporate environment.

It is sad, I like kmail but it still has a lot of growing up to do.