Cannot watch web videos in Mozilla 2.0.0.8

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Sat Nov 17 08:35:22 UTC 2007

john d. herron wrote:

> Hi, Jonathan.
> Thanks for your suggestion. Typing about:plugins in the FF navigation
> bar yields the following:
>
> Shockwave Flash
>
>     File name: libgnashplugin.so
>     Shockwave Flash 8.0 - Gnash 0.7.2, the GNU Flash Player. Copyright ©
>     2006 Free Software Foundation <http://www.fsf.org>, Inc.
>     Gnash comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You
>     may redistribute copies of Gnash under the terms of the GNU General
>     Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. For more
>     information about Gnash, see http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash
>     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.
>
> MIME Type     Description     Suffixes        Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash         Shockwave Flash         swf     Yes
>

> Shockwave Flash
>
>     File name: libflashplayer.so
>     Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48
>
> MIME Type     Description     Suffixes        Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash         Shockwave Flash         swf     Yes
> application/futuresplash      FutureSplash Player     spl     Yes
>

> (snip)
> and
>
> Shockwave Flash
>
>     File name: libflash-mozplugin.so
>     Flash Movie player Version 0.4.12 compatible with Shockwave Flash 4.0
>
>     Shockwave is a trademark of Macromedia® <http://www.macromedia.com>
>
>     GPLFLash homepage : gplflash.sf.net <http://gplflash.sf.net>
>
> MIME Type     Description     Suffixes        Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash         Flash Plugin    swf     Yes
> application/futuresplash      Future Splash   spl     Yes
>

> plus ("with JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets) one entry each for
> QuickTime Plug-in 6.0/7, RealPlayer 9, Windows Media Player Plugin
> (mplayerplug-in 3.31),
> mplayerplug-in 3.31, Adobe Reader 7.0 (works perfectly in browser) and
> Kaffeine Starter Plugin (kaffeineplugin.so),
>
> An attempt to run a CNN video in Konqueror yields this:
> "www.cnn.com - JavaScript - Konqueror
> Second chance exception while raising fatal exception:
> Error name: Error - Error Message: there is no public constructor for
> CNNPlaylistManager."
>
> As you can see, that there are three different entries for what appears
> to be different versions of Shockwave Flash. Could that perhaps cause
> confusion ? or where else might the problem be?
> Thanks for helping.
> jdh

Yes, John. That would be my guess. You might try installing the latest
version of the flash plugin for FFX Flash 9 r48. You can grab the tarball
here:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW
Just untar it and put the plugin, called libflashplayer.so where you usually
put your plugins for FFx. See if it works then.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!