Cannot watch web videos in Mozilla 2.0.0.8

john d. herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 17 08:02:25 UTC 2007

Hi, Jonathan.
Thanks for your suggestion. Typing about:plugins in the FF navigation
bar yields the following:

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libgnashplugin.so
    Shockwave Flash 8.0 - Gnash 0.7.2, the GNU Flash Player. Copyright ©
    2006 Free Software Foundation <http://www.fsf.org>, Inc.
    Gnash comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You
    may redistribute copies of Gnash under the terms of the GNU General
    Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. For more
    information about Gnash, see http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl 	Yes

(snip)
and

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflash-mozplugin.so
    Flash Movie player Version 0.4.12 compatible with Shockwave Flash 4.0

    Shockwave is a trademark of Macromedia® <http://www.macromedia.com>

    GPLFLash homepage : gplflash.sf.net <http://gplflash.sf.net>

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Flash Plugin 	swf 	Yes
application/futuresplash 	Future Splash 	spl 	Yes

plus ("with JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets) one entry each for
QuickTime Plug-in 6.0/7, RealPlayer 9, Windows Media Player Plugin
(mplayerplug-in 3.31),
mplayerplug-in 3.31, Adobe Reader 7.0 (works perfectly in browser) and
Kaffeine Starter Plugin (kaffeineplugin.so),

An attempt to run a CNN video in Konqueror yields this:
"www.cnn.com - JavaScript - Konqueror
Second chance exception while raising fatal exception:
Error name: Error - Error Message: there is no public constructor for
CNNPlaylistManager."

As you can see, that there are three different entries for what appears
to be different versions of Shockwave Flash. Could that perhaps cause
confusion ? or where else might the problem be?
Thanks for helping.
jdh