Installing Kubuntu To A Two Hard Drive Xp System

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Nov 14 20:05:40 UTC 2007

STEPHEN HILL wrote:
> Hello, Kubuntu Commuinty, I would like to know if some out there
> can tell me how to install Kubuntu on one hard drive in a two hard
> drive computer where the primary master drive will contain Windows
> Xp. I think I might run into problems because my second drive is a
> primary slave drive. Should I first make the second drive a
> secondary master ? And/Or completely reformat the the second drive
> ? Or should I leave the second drive where it is and just
> completely reformat it ? I have downloaded the 6.06 Dapper Drake
> version live CD and ran it on my computer and would like to install
> it to the my second drive without conflicting with Xp on the
> primary master drive.

Welcome!

It may be useful to notice what the two hard drive sizes are. The
install procedure will ask you which hard drive to install into, a or
b drive. The 'a' drive is the primary master, the 'b' drive is the
slave. It will be  useful to just confirm this by noticing the sizes
of drive mentioned.

There is no need to format the slave drive or anything, it will be
done automatically.
  I trust you will have a backup of your windows data  - it is
unlikely that problems will happen using this sort of approach, but it
is easier to be safe and not sorry.

May I ask why you have chosen to use version 6.06? Although it is the
long term support (LTS) version, it is now near to the end of its
useful life. Version 7.04 or version 7.10 are still current and have
improvements in a number of areas. A new LTS version will appear in
April 2008.
good luck
--
ac