Installing Vmware/WinXP on Kubuntu 7.10

Tipton, Timothy Timothy.Tipton at pxd.com
Thu Nov 8 14:19:10 GMT 2007

> Dont want to stir up trouble but I have switched to virtualbox and am
> generally happier with it, it also contains the ability to create the
virt
> machiune unlike vmware-player. Saves a little aggrivation..
> I find it smoother and more stable. I haven't found a couple of
features I
> want yet, but they are probably there for the hunting.

Funny you should say this, as I just completed (last night) installing
both (vmware/vbox) on a brand new install of kubuntu 7.10 - and actually
spent the time to create xp vm's on each - fully updated and all that
business - and I must say, vbox is surprisingly faster and more
responsive, for me, than vmware. Note that I am a new user of both, but
I used the OSE of vbox and compiled it.

My reasoning is that being a new linux user, I still need to be able to
have photoshop for my artwork (I'm trying to learn the gimp as fast as
possible, but when I just have to get a job done, I turn on PS) and I
also am trying to see if I can get iTunes to sync my ipod - couldn't get
it going last night, but I'm searching for some answers...

Anyway, I'll keep them both installed for a while, but my first
impression was that Virtualbox wins, hands-down. (and I LOVE the
seemless mode!)

Tim