KDE problem - Only desktop wallpaper visible

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 07:54:13 UTC 2007

Sundar wrote:
> When I log into kde session, I am able to see only the desktop
> wallpaper. There is no panel or windows or desktop icons visible. When
> I do Alt+f1 I get the kmenu but once i select an application, only the
> wallpaper is displayed.
>
> When I login to gnome everything compiz+screenlets works well.

With GNOME rename the directory /home/<yourlogin>/.kde to something
like /home/<yourlogin>/.kde.bak to get a fresh KDE environment. Then
login to KDE and check if the problem is still there. If everything is
OK, there is a problem with some configuration of the previous KDE
environment. Now, if everything works, search for important things in the
old directory (now .kde.bak) and move them to the new directory (.kde).
E.g. in /home/<yourlogin>/.kde.bak/share/apps/kmail you can find your old
mail (if you are using kmail).

Nils