I made a "Manual network configuration"...now how do I get rid of it?!

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 00:25:31 GMT 2007

Nolan Check wrote:
> Michael Bach (gmx) wrote:
>
>> Nolan Check wrote:
>>> The question is in the subject line. Here it is again:
>>>
>>> I made a "Manual network configuration"...now how do I get rid of it?!
>>>
>>> This is using the KNetworkManager thing. It always used to configure
>>> automatically. Then, I decided to fiddle around with my network. I
>>> experimented using a manual network configuration (there's a thing
>>> called "Manual configuration" when you right-click tray icon). Now I set
>>> the network back the way it was...but I can't make it automatically
>>> configure anymore! Is there any way to switch it back to Automatic?
>>>

>> Yes, there is.
>> The manual configuration writes into /etc/network/interfaces
>> In there, comment out everything but the loopback device.
>
> Thanks. The network configures automatically on start-up again (I replaced
> the interfaces file with a backup it made when I did the changes). The
> internet works fine.

So it works after reboot. I assume you're on a wired network and your
router provides ip and dns via dhcp to your computer.

> Unfortunately, KNetworkManager remains broken. When I
> hover over the tray icon, it says "Manual network configuration". When I
> click it, the Connection Status box says "No active device". When I
> right-click it, I get a menu like this: "Manual configuration, Options,
> Help, Quit".

Sounds familiar to me! I had exactly the same problem. Problem here, I
can only provide some vague information on how I fixed it. Try closing
the knetworkmanager. Then doublecheck the /etc/network/interfaces (funny
how tab-completion confuses me, I punched the tab-key twice while typing
this statement :) and check for uncommented entries no related to loopback.
Now, make sure there are no residual network managers running in the
background, run "ps aux | grep net", the list that appears should not
bring up any process called networkmanager (although you will maybe find
the grep process and inetd). If there are any networkmanager tasks, kill
them using -9. Now restart knetworkmanager, see if a device is found and
if it's automatically configured. If the previous procedure brought you
back to where you were, repeat until the point before to restart
knetworkmanager, instead restart the dbus service "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus
restart".