Debian package files open in Kate

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 1 13:43:18 GMT 2007

Karl wrote:

> Adrienne J Davis wrote:
>> Hey folks:
>>
>> When I attempt to download a .deb file, it ends up opening in Kate. This
>> isn't, of course, what I want it to do. In trying to fix this, I ended
>> up deleting my x-deb definition in Konqueror out of frustration,
>> thinking that it would default to 'ask to save' but that didn't work.
>> So, if one of you would be so kind as to look in Konqueror and tell me
>> what the definition for .deb is supposed to be so that it behaves right,
>> I would be grateful. Thanks.
>
> In my Konqueror it's /usr/share/applications/kde/gdebi-kde.desktop

What version are you running, Adrienne?  I'm pretty sure I didn't have this
in Feisty, but I do in Gutsy (it certainly treats them as text files on the
Feisty machine that's been upgrading Ubuntu versions for years, but I'm not
sure about the one where I installed Feisty fresh and now has Gutsy).
--
derek