Is this in html?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 14 13:25:35 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 13 May 2007 5:10 pm, Mark Wallace wrote:
>> What is your source on net etiquette? And there is a signature at the
>> bottom of your post.
>
> My source for net etiquette is old age, and I detest Microsoft Outlook
> Express, because it is the very application that created top posting.
> Before Outhouse Express, the term "top posting" didn't even exist.
>
> I concede, having used even the full-featured Microsoft Outlook, that it
> is impossible to post correctly with that software.

Please, that's silly.  You can't possibly compare Outlook and Outlook
Express.  They're not related in any way except the name - and MS
changed "Internet Mail & News" to "Outlook Express" simply to make people
think there _was_ a relationship.

It's entirely true, that you can't post correctly with Outlook, but you
_can_ post correctly with OE, and I have, at times, done so.  It definitely
isn't very standards-compliant, but it can be forced to behave fairly well.

I'm not even sure that OE introduced the top-post, and I'm fairly certain it
didn't introduce HTML mail.  Try asking KMail developers why the insertion
caret starts at the first line of a reply.  They'll point out that if they
moved the insertion point to the end of the message, nobody would trim
full so that people could say "me too".  Where does OE put the .sig?  It's
not the insertion point that's so annoying as that Outlook puts the
signature at the top too - pretty much forcing top-posting.  In the
business situations for which Outlook is intended, that's often the
preferred solution.  For mail lists, it sucks...
--
derek