fkeys question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 4 17:15:20 UTC 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007, Andrew Jarrett wrote:
>On 5/4/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> This is a resend as there has been no response as yet.  And slightly
>> expanded.
>>
>> The emc2 project uses (k)ubuntu 6.06 LTS for the base os to run EMC2 on.
>> It does this precisely because we need the long term stability, and emc
>> doesn't have to have the latest bells and whistles for its realtime kernel
>> modifications the machinery needs.
>>
>> EMC is a machine control program to control milling machines, lathes, and
>> even whats called milling centers, some of which can run to the 100 ton
>> area for weight.  But mine is a little puny at about 150 pounds.
>>
>> I had to reinstall due to a dumbass on my part, I had killed the root
>> account thinking that would restore sudo to normal operation, and rather
>> than dig up a kubuntu 6.06 cd, I grabbed the more recent kubuntu 6.06 live
>> dvd and installed that.
>>
>> This EMC program very badly needs the use of the fkeys, which did work
>> just fine as the normal user when the cd install was in effect.
>>
>> But now, with the live dvd installed, I find that all this control must be
>> done using the mouse, which if the machine is running away at 30 to 600
>> inches a minute, is going to break a lot of stuff while we're fishing for
>> the mouse, finding the right icon, and killing it.  Even a simple carbide
>> milling tool for my teeny machine is $20 or more.
>>
>> How can I restore access to the fkeys and esc functions this program
>> needs, while running as a normal user?  I cannot find, in the tools
>> available, a method of changing the keyboard proper, such as being able to
>> select between pc104/pc105 and pc108 styles, only its repeat rates and
>> such seem to be available.
>>
>> These function keys need to function both for control convenience, and for
>> safety concerns.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
>> that it wasn't a fish.
>>         -- Marshall McLuhan
>>

>> --
>
>I am not really sure what you are looking to achieve... By "fkeys" do
>you mean the keys on top of the keyboard (F1, F2, F3, etc.)?  I assume
>that you would just need to map the keys to your commands (pressing F1
>would send the "stop" command).  I am not very skilled or experienced
>in the art of key mapping, but I know of a program called xbindkeys
>that could help you (sudo apt-get install xbindkeys).  Perhaps the
>file that maps the keys is still retrievable on your old computer?  Or
>is it completely gone?
>
>Andrew
>
>--
>09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

The partition was formatted.  And I personally would have no experience at
configuring xbindkeys as I've never done that here on my main FC6 box, or any
redhat/fedora install previously.  Now, if I knew the name of that file where
this is stored, maybe I could sneakernet (or samba but I haven't got that
setup yet, need to go get rid of dhcp in favor of hosts file etc) it to that
box with a usb key or something.  I don't think this is an x function, or is
it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)