fkeys question

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:35:36 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> This is a resend as there has been no response as yet.  And slightly expanded.
>
> The emc2 project uses (k)ubuntu 6.06 LTS for the base os to run EMC2 on.  It
> does this precisely because we need the long term stability, and emc doesn't
> have to have the latest bells and whistles for its realtime kernel
> modifications the machinery needs.
>
> EMC is a machine control program to control milling machines, lathes, and even
> whats called milling centers, some of which can run to the 100 ton area for
> weight.  But mine is a little puny at about 150 pounds.
>
> I had to reinstall due to a dumbass on my part, I had killed the root account
> thinking that would restore sudo to normal operation, and rather than dig up
> a kubuntu 6.06 cd, I grabbed the more recent kubuntu 6.06 live dvd and
> installed that.
>
> This EMC program very badly needs the use of the fkeys, which did work just
> fine as the normal user when the cd install was in effect.
>
> But now, with the live dvd installed, I find that all this control must be
> done using the mouse, which if the machine is running away at 30 to 600
> inches a minute, is going to break a lot of stuff while we're fishing for the
> mouse, finding the right icon, and killing it.  Even a simple carbide milling
> tool for my teeny machine is $20 or more.
>
> How can I restore access to the fkeys and esc functions this program needs,
> while running as a normal user?  I cannot find, in the tools available, a
> method of changing the keyboard proper, such as being able to select between
> pc104/pc105 and pc108 styles, only its repeat rates and such seem to be
> available.
>
> These function keys need to function both for control convenience, and for
> safety concerns.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
> that it wasn't a fish.
>         -- Marshall McLuhan

I am not really sure what you are looking to achieve... By "fkeys" do
you mean the keys on top of the keyboard (F1, F2, F3, etc.)?  I assume
that you would just need to map the keys to your commands (pressing F1
would send the "stop" command).  I am not very skilled or experienced
in the art of key mapping, but I know of a program called xbindkeys
that could help you (sudo apt-get install xbindkeys).  Perhaps the
file that maps the keys is still retrievable on your old computer?  Or
is it completely gone?

Andrew

--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0