AVG antivirus install in Kubuntu (building dazuko)

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at fastmail.fm
Wed May 2 06:24:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:46:43 -0400, "scott" <slewin at rogers.com> said:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > If you really want to use this (probably unnecessary for a desktop
> > machine, as there are very few GNU/Linux viruses),
> Few?  I thought there was no known viruses for Linux?
And I used to say that the main reason there is less viruses on Linux is
that it is less popular. But:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/
suggest that I am wrong. BTW, the article cite:
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the
Macintosh,
about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux.
Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have
caused widespread damage.
Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of
importance.
None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined
to the laboratory."

Some suggested clamav but I think it does not scan documents when they
are open, like most
antivirus products do. And as I understand AVG documentation (and Dazuko
doc), one should
install dazuko-source before avg .deb file, to have this feature. Dazuko
seems to be used
by most antivirus products for Linux). But I get a problem building
Dazuko kernel module.

I have install dazuko-source (which depends on module-assistant to help
compile and install it),
I then have done 'sudo module-assistant prepare' followed by 'sudo
module-assistant build dazuko'
but I then get 'dh_clean command not found' (translated from french) in
the view log.

I had to apt-get install debhelper to work around it (guess debhelper
should be a depend of
module-assistant package. Then I get on 'sudo module-assistant build
dazuko' a 'no rules for
make clean'. Guess there is still some bugs on dasuko-source.

Have you work around this, or just install without worrying about
dazuko?

--Paul

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?