Word Attachments

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue May 1 12:57:53 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 21:29, Andy wrote:
> To almost anyone outside IT "computer literacy" means a good grasp of M$
> Office. Most people, including those in high decision-making positions,
> honestly believe that there is no alternative to Microsoft,

This is, unfortunately, true.  It is the result of the convergence of two
paradigms: (1) most workers are most resistant to even minor change,
including MS upgrades, and (2) MS has a virtual monopoly.

Managers know full well about alternatives, but fear the cost of implementing
them with a technology averse workforce.

In the early '90s, we were one of the first offices to use windows 3.1 and
word 2.0.  Most offices were using DOS and WordPerfect (with computers
booting directly into WordPerfect).  When my secretary went on maternity
leave, we had a hell of a time replacing her with someone who did not fear
the GUI and a mouse.  We ended up hiring a Mac user.  This was difficult
involving one employee.  Multiply that by the number of employees in big
offices, and free software starts costing a lot of money.

That is the challenge for Linux and OSS. The more familiar the interface, the
easier it is to implement in the enterprise.  Unfortunately, Linux adopters,
like me, prefer alternative interfaces.  (MS can get away with changing its
interface because managers trust that the new interface will become the
familiar standard.)

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @