Edgy and APT-pinning

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Mar 12 00:22:01 UTC 2007

Graham <gct3 at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:58:43 +1100
> Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>> As a non-core comment though, don't do that.  You /really/ don't want
>> to try and run a system that is a mix of two releases.  In short
>> order you will wind up in a stick mess that just doesn't work
>> correctly.
>
> I understand that, but what I want is to give a third party repository
> a lower level of pinning than the ubuntu repositories.

You do know that using third party repositories, especially when they
are of a quality that they generate conflicts with core packages, is an
invitation to problem, right?

[...]

> When I had reinstalled Kubuntu, dvd::rip installed fine from the
> ubuntu repositories and before I allow the tuxfamily.org repositories
> to add any more conflicting code, I wanted to see if it was possible
> to pin a repository at a lower status, not just a different release.
> The tuxfamily.org repositories are for edgy, but hold packages I can't
> find elsewhere.
>
> I wanted to find out whether I could pin the tuxfamily.org repository
> at a lower level to reduce conflicts.

Yes, you probably can, if they generate their packages correctly.

The apt_preferences(5) manual page details using an origin based pin for
packages, allowing you to specific a lower priority for anything they
release than anything Ubuntu release.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/