query about running system services

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:15:06 UTC 2007

jerry said the following at 06/28/2007 01:52 PM :

> I am not sure what you are trying to do but:
> To start with Kubuntu's default runlevel is 2.

Oh, wow! I have been running Linux for eight years, and this is the first
time I've come across a graphical distro that doesn't default to runlevel 5.

In fact, this is the usual meaning of runlevel:

0: Halt system
1: Single-user mode
2: Multi-user mode ("safe"; no networking)
3: Multi-user mode
4: unused
5: Multi-user mode with X
6: Reboot

I have seen minor variations on that, but never something totally
different. I didn't think for a moment that the default runlevel wasn't 5.
That probably explains the problems I was having.

Thanks for telling me both about this and about the "runlevel" command, of
which I was also unaware.