Linux databases

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Fri Jun 15 21:51:44 UTC 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 16:29:43 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:06:26 -0500
>
> manchicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> wrote:
> > In Mandrake many things were complicated.  In ubuntu you apt-get install
> > postgresql-8.2 and you've got a working database when it's done.  It's
> > pretty simple.  MySQL has a lot of standards issues including one I found
> > today.  It allows double-quotes in string literals.  This is bad because
> > as people develop for MySQL, and don't know this, their code is less
> > portable.
> >
> > MySQL works, and if you like it, go for it.  Just be careful to pay
> > attention to standards, because MySQL doesn't seem to know or care what
> > those standards are sometimes.
> >
> > --
> > ~ manchicken <><
>
> I know about the double quotes in strings so I avoid that. Also (I am
> running Kubuntu edgy) my version of postgresql is 8.1. I may well test
> out your theory and see what happens.
>
> Neil

Yeah.  Well, until a patch I submitted today, katapult's amarok plugin SQL was
not compatible with any DBMS other than MySQL, so if you have amarok using
postgres then your amarok songs wouldn't show up in katapult.  Small issue,
sure.  But this is also a barrier for porting other programs to more robust
databases as well.  MythTV will be harder to port to PostgreSQL because of
this issue, and several other programs will be harder, too.

Good luck with the tests.  Let me know what you find out.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.