Linux databases

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Sat Jun 16 08:42:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:51:44 -0500
manchicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> wrote:

> Yeah.  Well, until a patch I submitted today, katapult's amarok plugin SQL was
> not compatible with any DBMS other than MySQL, so if you have amarok using
> postgres then your amarok songs wouldn't show up in katapult.  Small issue,
> sure.  But this is also a barrier for porting other programs to more robust
> databases as well.  MythTV will be harder to port to PostgreSQL because of
> this issue, and several other programs will be harder, too.
>
> Good luck with the tests.  Let me know what you find out.
>
> --
> ~ manchicken <><
> (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.
> 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
Well, I have installed postgresql using apt-get install and it has
loaded OK.

I remember from the past that I use psql to start it. However when I do
that it tries to use my user name (neilwin) as a database name and says
that there is no such database. So it won't start. I tried psql -U
neilwin but it didn't like that either.

I suppose that I have to go in as user postgres, and  create
neilwin as a user. To do that I need to do it as root. With Mandrake
I could use su but with kubuntu I use sudo. I have not quite got the
hang of it yet.

If you can get me started I would be grateful.

Referring to you first para, I don't use katapult. I don't use Mythtv.

Thanks

Neil