Items not showing in kcmshell

Juan Carlos Torres carlosdgtorres at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:36:25 UTC 2007

> In kcmshell, some items are not showing. All of them are
> system administration related (userconfig, wineconfig,
> ksysv, etc.). I searched and couldn't find a solution.
> The tools that are not showing in the kcmshell, however,
> are installed and working well from command-line and from
> the K-Menu
>
> As an example, if I try 'kuser' or 'userconfig' from the
> command line, it works without any problems. If I try
> something like
>
> $ kcmshell userconfig

This is normal. The control modules you mentioned (userconfig,  sysconfig,
wineconfig, displayconfig, mountconfig) are part of the kde-guidance package.
These are python programs that can be embedded into System Settings
(Kubuntu's control center) or KControl (KDE's default control center). But to
run them independently, you don't use kcmshell. You run them as you would any
regular program.

You will also be able to see these modules in System Settings (K Menu ->
System Settings) or in KControl (Alt+F2, "kcontrol").